You've received an offer for student housing through Sit, and you're wondering what happens next? We've tried to answer the most frequently asked questions.
There's a lot to keep track of when moving, especially if it's your first time and you're going to a new city, or even a new country, as well. Below we've answered some of the things our tenants ask about the most.
- Considering Covid-19, what documentation do I need to present before I move in?
Answer: when collecting your key before moving into a Sit housing, you will have to 1) show a receipt that you have stayed in quarantine for 10 days, or 2) present travel documents showing that you have stayed in Norway for more than 10 days. Please have this documents ready when coming to collect the key or send it attached when booking a key box by email to [email protected], preferably 1 week ahead
- When can I move in, at the earliest?
Answer: The same day as your contract starts, but not until you have completed the quarantin period.
- Do I have to collect my key on the exact day that my contract starts?
Answer: No, but you can not collect it earlier than on the day your contract starts.
- If I collect my key later than than the date my contract starts, do I still have to pay rent from the day the day the contract starts?
- Can I collect my house key if I arrive in town outside opening hours?
Answer: Yes. There are two ways to do this: 1) You send us a written consent for another person to collect the key from the reception for you. 2) You can request access to a key box by sending an email to [email protected]. Please be aware that there are a limited number of key boxes, and that we give priority to international students arriving from abroad.
- What sort of furniture and other equipment can be found in the kitchen and elsewhere in the apartment?
Answer: You must bring your own duvet, pillow and bedlinen. You must supply your own kitchen utensils, cleaning equipment, etc. (except at Teknobyen student housing and Moholt allmenning in Trondheim).
Inventories for Trondheim
- Can I bring my dog/cat/goldfish/other pet?
Answer: No. Pets are not allowed in any Sit housing. Exceptions are made for seeing eye dogs and certified service dogs.
- I can't pay my deposit through hybel.sit.no. What do I do now? (Mostly applies to Norwegian students)
Answer: You'll find an invoice for the deposit on page 5 of your housing contract. Pay it like you would a normal bill online, use the KID-number from the invoice and make the payment to bank account no. 4200 41 51326.
- I have to pay from a foreign bank. How do I do that?
Answer: From foreign banks you have to pay by bank transfer. You will need the following information: IBAN: NO 89 42004151326, SWIFT /BIC code: SPTRNO22, bank: Sparebank 1 SMN, recipient's name: Sit Bolig, P. O. box 2460 Torgarden, 7005 Trondheim. Please be aware that our bank will charge a fee of up to NOK 100 for international transfers. You must therefore add NOK 100 when paying your rent or deposit using bank transfer.
- Can I postpone paying the deposit?
Answer: No. The deposit is to be paid upon signing the contract. No allowances are made for postponing the payment.
- When should I pay my first invoice?
Answer: Wait until you receive an invoice at hybel.sit.no. You will be notified by email to the email address you have registered as your username when an invoice is available. You can pay by bank transfer, Bankaxess (Norwegian bank accounts only), VISA or Mastercard.
- I have received an offer to renew my contract. Do I have to pay a new deposit?
- I am moving to another room or apartment owned by Sit. Do I have to pay a new deposit?
Answer: Usually, no. We transfer your current deposit to the new contract once the old contract is closed. Be aware that if there is a higher deposit on your new contract, you must pay the difference. This also applies when you move from a single room to an apartment.
- I live in a couples apartment, and my co-habitant will be taking over the lease. Do we have to pay a new deposit?
Answer: Yes. The deposit is a guarantee for your existing tenancy, and will not be refunded until the tenancy is terminated and all financial matters are settled. The deposit for the new housing contract must be paid upon signing the contract.