Apply for dental care refund on your dental expenses
Do you have large dental expenses? Then you can apply for support through our dental care refund scheme. The dental care refund was established to provide support for students with extraordinary dentist-related expenses. As a student affiliated with Sit you can apply for a refund if you have dental treatment expenses during a calendar year.
Guidelines for the dental care refund. The guidelines are only available in Norwegian.
Here you can find information about criteria for applying, when to apply, and what is covered and not covered by the dental care refund:
What's the criteria for applying?
In order to apply for The Dental Care Refund you need to have payed your semester fee, and achieved at least 30 credits during the previous academic year.
What's the deadline for applying?
The deadline for applying for a dental care refund is 8 weeks after you've had your dental treatment.
The exception is for first year students. If you are a first year student you need to apply by 31st of July for dental expenses during your first academic year.
What kind of expenses are covered by the dental care refund?
- 250 NOK off one dental examination per year.
- 50% of expenses between 2 000 and 10 000 NOK.
- 75% of expenses between 10 000 and 25 000 NOK.
- Wisdom teeth extractions.
- Dental fillings.
- Root canal treatments, with or without dental crowns.
- Treatements for dental diseases and other necessary dental operations.
- If you need any anaesthetics or nitrous oxide, you need to provide a letter from your GP or psychologist.
What kind of expenses are not covered by the dental care refund?
- Cosmetic treatments.
- Transportation or travel to/from the dentist.
- Expenses less than 200 NOK.
- Any dental treatments or conditions/instances that can be covered by the public health sector. You can find more information about this on helsenorge.no.
- Any dental treatments for students under the age of 20 or over the age of 35.
- Any dental treatments done outside of Norway. The exception is dental treatments done by Norwegian dentists outside of Norway.
What do I do if I have expenses over 10 000 NOK?
If you know that your dental treatment expenses will be between 10 000 and 25 000 NOK, you must apply for approval from Sit before you get the treatments done. 75% of the expenses between 10 000 and 25 000 NOK will be covered if you meet the requirements for a refund.
In order to apply for approval you need to send us a letter, including a cost estimate from your dentist and a copy of your semester card. Send the letter and relevant documentation to:
Postboks 2460 Torgarden
There is a deductible of 2 000 NOK, which will be deducted from your expenses when you fill out the application. For example: if you have dental expenses of 2 700 NOK, you will be refunded 350 NOK.
The application must be filled out online, printed and emailed with the receipts and any other necessary documentation.
Please note! The application form is only available in Norwegian.
Your dental care rights
You can use any dentists in Norway.
Be aware that private practicing dentists have different price structures depending on time used and other factors. Therefore, remember to ask for a cost estimate before the treatment. Also, ask if they have student prices.
Here are a list of your rights when it comes to dental treatment in Norway (The page is in Norwegian).