Our history

1921

The students in Trondheim are so unhappy with NTH’s sale of writing equipment and supplies that they create a separate outlet. The shop is run by and for students, and is named Tapir – since it rhymes so nicely with ‘papir’.

1948

The war is over, and students flock back to campus. Parliament adopts a law that will ensure students' welfare, called ‘The law relating to student welfare organizations.’ Three months later, a separate regulation for the Student Welfare Organization in Trondheim is made. The semester fee is set to 10 NOK. It is approximately 1,000 students in the city and it is cramped for space. German barracks are being used as flats and the officer casino at Singsaker is converted into residences for students. Breakfast is served in the basement of the main building at Gløshaugen. For dinner it’s mostly fish and potatoes.

1950–59

The first years the Student Welfare Organization is operated as a special interest group with no permanent staff. In 1956 a managing director is hired, and the first student village at Berg is built. Student Welfare Organization also takes over the running of the breakfast basement at NTH.

1960–69

Students at the Norwegian College of Education become members in 1960. The students' health service is established, and the canteen business expands. Land areas are obtained at Moholt, Steinan and Jakobsli. They finish building Berg and Moholt I.

1970–79

There are far more students in Trondheim in the 70's - education is no longer reserved for the upper class. Students get married, have children and create new needs: kindergarten and couples and family apartments. Moholt kindergarten is completed in 1971. Moholt II is completed in 1972. Frode Rinnans veg, Sverres gate 8 and Jakobslivegen 55 also become student housing. Students at Trondheim College of Engineering are now members of SiT, and Tapir is transformed into a foundation under the organization.

1980–89

Nissekollen kindergarten opens. We are expanding with two new cafeterias at NTH, at Trondheim College of Engineering and at Trondheim Business School. The health services gather at NTH, and we keep developing our psychosocial service. Moholt student village expands, Magnus den Godes gate 2 becomes student housing and the development of Steinan starts. The student villages at Berg and Moholt get cable TV in each room.

We acquire computer systems to the administration. Unit Travel Agency is transferred from the Student Welfare Organization in Oslo. Along with Studentersamfundet in Trondheim we establish the company Media Stud AS with responsibility for Under Dusken and Studentradio'n.

1990–99

Students at TØH, DMMH, NKI Engineering College and the Peoples University Legal Studies become members. Social Services for students are created in collaboration with the University. Kindergarten operation grows, based on the new grant scheme for student kindergartens. SiT participate in the foundation of the International Student Festival ISFIT. Dragvoll sports center opens and Nedre Berg and Steinan student villages are developed.

2000–09

SiT is used as a brand name. SiT Council is established as a unit - with courses, counseling, health centers and nurses. Lerkendal student village is built, and the development of Nedre Singsakerslette starts. The number of students in Trondheim approaches 30,000, and increasing numbers of international students come to the city - often there are over 100 different nationalities represented in SiT student villages.

2010–15

SiT start to offer courses for student organizations. BI becomes member in SIT. Berg student village opens in 2010, after old Berg was demolished and the area densified. Teknobyen student housing is ready for semester start in August 2011, and Lerkendal student village is completed in 2013/14.

2016

NTNU merged with the colleges in Ålesund and Gjøvik, and so did the student welfare organizations in Ålesund, Gjøvik and Trondheim. As a result of the merger, SiT changes name from "SiT" to "Sit".
The welfare work for students in Ålesund started when the apartment building was built in 1977. The student welfare organization in Oppland first started in Gjøvik in 1985/86 when they took over the first student home at Kopperud.